Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays~ and other bits of randomness

If I’m going to prove my SAHM capabilities to my hubs I’d better step it up a notch in the kitchen. He is not only the primary bread winner in the house hold… but sadly the primary bread maker. In attempt to encourage his faith in me (so that I can live my dream of domesticated bliss) I have decided to at least TRY and cook.
I was briefly a pampered chef consultant (I quit because sadly I do not have the knack for following up on needed sales leads and OH yeah I’m not actually a “chef”)during my brief stint as a consultant I learned to make an amazing Turkey Chili! Not only is it healthy; it is incredibly easy and get this MADE IN THE MICRO WAVE!!!
All you need is a trip to the grocery store for the needed supplies, a stone baker (metal won’t work as we are making this in the microwave) and about 30-45 min. I have to say it was a HUGE hit… not so much with the hubby though… apparently he’s not a huge fan of turkey *He read this and corrected me... he's not a fan of chili beans... not much i can do about that*… he said something else but I must have been doing one of those selective hearing things! I've added my comments in bold... Bon Appétit!




Ingredients Needed:

1 cup chopped onion
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (leave the seeds if you want it to be spicy!)
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1 pound 99% lean ground turkey (93% will work but you need a little extra 1.5 lbs)
2 tablespoons Basil Blend Canola oil (OR olive or canola)
3 garlic cloves, pressed
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Southwestern Seasoning Mix (you can use taco seasonging)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (I got diced tomatoes in cilantro! mmm)
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (16 ounces) chili beans in sauce, undrained
½ cup hot water

Cooking Instructions:
1. chop onion and jalapeño pepper. Dice bell pepper. Place vegetables in stone ware (has to be pretty deep); microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tender.

2. Add turkey, oil, garlic and salt; mix well. Microwave, uncovered, an additional 5-6 minutes, stirring halfway through and breaking turkey mixture into crumbles.

3. Add seasoning mix and flour; mix well to coat. Stir in tomatoes, beans and water. Microwave, uncovered, an additional 12-14 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring once halfway through cooking.

Makes about: 6 servings

Only about Calories 280! Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Protein 25 g, Sodium 970 mg, Fiber 8 g
This recipe was adapted from (C) 2011 Pampered Chef

In other news I’m now 16 weeks! SO far so good with the Placenta Previa, Going for a checkup tomorrow! Here’s my baby belly:



BTW I’ve been rocking the side braid ever since I watched Miss Universe last week. The stylist demonstrated how to make a messy hair day a cute one with a braid (and today was def a messy hair day):



Oh and one more thing just for fun… This weekend I was feeling pretty down and thought I’d do a “every girl should ______ from time to time”… well this weekend I rocked some Kim Kardashian worthy Eyelashes! So for my fill in the blank: Every girl should rock eye HUGE eyelashes from time to time!:


SOOOO FUN! TIP-Use black adhesive and add it from the outer part of the eye to the inner (other wise you might have too much hanging off the end!).

This week’s Lows: The truck breaking down to the Tune of $1500…
This week’s highs: Preparing for Luca’s 2nd birthday coming up this Saturday!!! EEEEK so excited!

5 comments:

  1. I would have NEVER thought that you're not the cooking type, especially from a Colombian background (hope I got that right...maybe I"m confusing you with Sofia Vergara :-). I need to send you some SUPER EASY/hassle free crock pot recipes that will make you take a look at your microwave and laugh at it in mockery. So, you quit work? It will be hard at first (after the "honeymoon" stage of being at home wears off) but then you'll love it. I think it's so worth it, even if you end up living more humbly financially.

    16 weeks!!!! You look great! Not that I saw you much with your last pregnancy (what a shame...) but it seems like you're not gaining as much weight and carrying differently. I might have just stuck my foot in my mouth there...sorry if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, no foot in mouth, i gained 70lbs with Luca! ZAZIKES! up 10 now too... but I think you are right, carrying differently. I think i do have some Colombian in me but Mostly Puerto Rican! ;). The hope is I can stay home once this baby is born...We'll see though!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me easy yummy recipes! Anything to make me look good in the kitchen! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate chili with kidney beans too! Runs in the family I guess....or just bad memories (sorry Mom!). So my trick is to use white beans or chickpeas instead, even black eyed peas, but they get pretty close to the original offender....I have something to send you that might help out. love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are such a cute pregnant mom! sorry to hear about the truck breaking down, why are car repairs always so pricy? but you definitely have something exciting to look forward to your son's 2nd birthday!! cant wait to see photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog Momma! You are such a cutie pie preggo! I'm excited that we're going through our pregnancies at the same time. :)
    I can't wait to read what happens in your life next!

    ReplyDelete