Monday, April 20, 2009

When Siblings Date.

I never thought I’d be one of those sisters who didn’t like her siblings’ boyfriends/girlfriends. I still wouldn’t classify myself as such a person; but I have a very bitter taste in my mouth after last night’s escapades with my brother (who insists he isn’t going to be like his friends who practically kill themselves over their girlfriends. After his behavior towards ME his sister last night, I seriously doubt the likely hood of those insistences.) when did high school dating ever= life or death? Any ways here’s the story;

I was hanging out with my family on Sunday evening when for some reason my brother decided to say that one of my good friends was ugly. I was really shocked because it just so happens that the girl in question is very beautiful so I said ‘if you think she’s so ugly what would you call your girlfriend?’ Okay I can practically feel/hear and see the collective gasps that that comment may have rendered from you; and re-reading it and having been told what it sounded like upon hearing it I understand that the question as poised makes it sound like I’m calling his girlfriend ugly; WHICH is NOT the case. I was seriously asking him what he would call his girlfriend on the attractiveness scale, because his girlfriend is cute/pretty but this friend of mine is like model pretty (see no disrespect here). Well he EXPLODED, muttered some expletives and punched something and ran up stairs where an issuing fight took place with my father, who in turn came downstairs to yell at me for being so insensitive to my “poor little brother”. At this point I was flabbergasted, annoyed and angry. I must be the most misunderstood person in the world. Then some family from out of town and my husband informed me that my comment could’ve been taken the wrong way and then I got really upset because EVERY one was on my back when my brother was the only one who actually did call some one ugly!!!! I know I’m being defensive right now, but instead of storming off, calling me names and telling everyone I called his girlfriend ugly he could’ve stuck around and heard me out when I tried to explain myself and **news flash** if you tell your girlfriend your sister thinks she’s ugly…. That won’t bode well for the relationship, not at this point in his life anyways when sisters do much in the way of providing, rides, phones and general support when parents don’t. Okay. I think I should stop because I’m just getting angry at the injustices of being the one who every one’s mad at, won’t listen to and thinks is a B. The world can be so unjust.

*Here’s to NOT calling people ugly, defending friends when they are called ugly and having a negative change of heart about the significant others of brothers.

Weekend Highs; Sunny skies, 78* weather, hanging out with good friends and eating some of the BEST burgers I’ve ever.

Weekend Lows: The start of a rain storm that’s scheduled to last through Thursday, The catastrophic fight with my brother which makes his girlfriend think I hate her and all people he tells his side of the story to think I’m shallow, Realizing I thoroughly dislike people on some deep seated level that I don’t know how to rectify and knowing I would make an excellent mountain hermit never to be seen from or heard of again.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Nikki.... you pretty much summed up how I feel most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, family should be the "safe" people. By that I mean, the ones you shouldn't have to tiptoe around in fears something you may say might come off as "wrong" or "policitically incorrect".

    Your brother will get over it, and so will everyone else. As for the girlfriend, if she sticks around long enough (I mean not everyone marries their HS sweetheart, some of us are just lucky like that *coughcough* haha) I'm sure everything will be water under the bridge. I mean, you obviously don't think she's ugly... just because your brother took it that way doesn't mean it is so.

    I would say you should pull your brother aside and tell him how mean it was for him to say what he did about your friend, and clarify what you meant in what you said BUT knowing how teenage boys are, he would think you were just making excuses and lying because no one was taking your side. I would just fail to give the issue anymore attention. I think everyone else is making it a much bigger deal than it is in reality.

    On another note, I think sticking up for a friend is really awesome. I would do the same thing if my sister said something along those lines about one of my friends. Even if it WERE true, it's just inconsiderate to say those things when no one asked for an opinion on their attractiveness. I mean, geez, no one asked him to date her! Haha. Lucky for us, God made us ALL beautiful, and I think if people can't see it, it's because they aren't looking hard enough.

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're not alone in the feeling that you're incredibly misunderstood, my dear. i can actually see myself asking the same question without thinking about it and then realizing, "wow! everyone took that the complete OPPOSITE way of what it was intended for." <3 you and i'm taking your side :) lol.

    ReplyDelete